The warmth of the sun is bringing with it a whiff of spring… Yes! The winter chill is finally on its way out!!
For me, the best way to celebrate is to bake. And what would be better than wonderfully light, delicately flavoured, heart-shaped baby pink Meringue Cookies?!
Meringue Cookies are so very easy to make and have the simplest ingredients. They are Fat-Free,
Gluten-Free and can once in a while sneak into your balanced eating regime!!
If done right, meringues, in my opinion, make the most elegant dessert and are so so pretty on
the table. These little fluffs have an airy melt – in – your – mouth texture, crisp outside and are surprisingly chewy when you bite into them.
Traditionally Meringues are made from egg whites and sugar. Any trace of fat is a strict no
no, so the whites of the eggs have to be carefully separated from the yolks and the mixing bowl must be squeaky clean and dry. While these Meringue Cookies are, very simple to make, they are a labour of love and a bit of patience too! But, trust me, the results are so worth it!
Meringues can be done in different flavours, colours and they are gorgeous combined with fruits. They can easily be made into a Pavlova, you can check out my Easy Pavlova Recipe or simply have with an aromatic cup of coffee.
I decided to do them Heart shaped as an ode to this month of romance … All You need is love
but a little Meringue Cookie now and then doesn’t hurt. 🙂
- Egg whites – Eggs separate well when cold, but when you start whisking them, please make sure they are at room temperature.
- The bowl and beaters used for whisking egg whites should be clean, grease-free and completely dry.
- Sugar – Caster sugar or powdered sugar is the best. I simply grind the sugar in my coffee grinder.
- Add the sugars slowly, ensuring each time the sugar is well combined before adding more.
- These cookies store well for about 2-3 weeks in an airtight container.