This combination may sound a bit unusual, but strawberries and rosemary together are so dreamy. Buttery, tender-crumbed with tangy lemon glaze, these Strawberry & Rosemary Scones will simply melt in your mouth.
The sweet-tart juicy strawberries in a not too sweet gluten-free pastry, perfumed with woodsy, piney rosemary will liven up your senses. Not to mention the incredible fragrance that will waft through your house! Rosemary’s unique flavor profile works very well in a lot of dishes. It can be very strong too, so it’s better to use it judiciously. In these scones, its assertive enough, but blends extraordinarily well with the freshness of strawberries and zing of lemon in the glaze.
These Strawberry & Rosemary Scones are gluten-free as I made them with amaranth flour and almond meal. For almond meal, I simply whizzed up some blanched and peeled almonds in my coffee grinder till they were coarsely ground. I wasn’t entirely sure if amaranth flour would hold since there is no egg in this recipe. To be on the safer side, I added some psyllium husk or isabgol to the batter! Yes, you heard that right! It helps to bind gluten-free flours together, to create a less crumbly texture in the baked goods. And no, you CANNOT taste it, and it adds extra fiber..so win-win!! You can read more about it in THIS ARTICLE .
There is no fancy technique for making scones. Just keep in mind, gentle handling of the dough. Don’t overwork it and you’ll get the most tender scones. Minimal handling is the key. You can easily make this vegan by using chilled coconut oil as I did or my Lavender Buckwheat Jam Scones and Blueberry Coconut Scones .
So make most of the strawberry season and make these Strawberry & Rosemary Scones! I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @
Strawberry & Rosemary Scones
- 1.5 cup Amaranth flour
- 1 cup Almond meal
- 1/2 cup Cane sugar You can use regular sugar too
- 1 tbsp Rosemary, chopped fine
- 2 tsp Isabgol /Psyllium husk
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 100 gms Butter, chilled and cut into small cubes You can use chilled coconut oil, to make this vegan
- 1/2 cup Coconut milk, full fat plus extra for brushing the scones
- 1/2 cup Strawberries, cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- Preheat your oven to 200C. Line a baking tray with Silpat or parchment paper.
- Combine all the dry ingrdients in a bowl - amaranth flour, almond meal, baking powder, rosemary, psyllium husk and sugar.
- Rub in the cold butter cubes until the mixture forms large coarse crumbs.
- Pour over the cream and mix with a fork until the dry ingredients are just moistened. Tip in the strawberries and mix them in very gently.
- Turn the dough out on to a well floured surface and press together gently till it forms a ball.
- Press into a 8″ circle and cut into 9 scones using a 2.5 -3" cookie cutter.You may need to pull together the scraps and form into a circle again. Gently place on the prepared tray. Brush lightly with coconut milk.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden and cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- While the scones are cooling, whisk together the glaze ingredients until smooth and thick. Drizzle over warm scones. Serve and enjoy!