Even though I really dislike the cold weather, the bright light in these winter months is the lovely produce and warm, comforting meals. Like this Strawberry ‘n Cream Baked Oatmeal!
A far cry from my daily smoothie or yogurt, fruit bowl, but just as nourishing and wholesome. And just as easy to prepare!
Breakfast has to be my most important meal of the day. I really need a substantial one as I don’t want to run to the cookie jar every couple of hours…not a bad idea though! 😉 While a nice bowl of porridge is always a good idea, the family likes a sweet variety and it’s got to be delicious every time. My job is to ensure its nutritious!
Thanks to an exciting collaboration with MOTHERDAIRY , I was able to get this Strawberry ‘n Cream Baked Oatmeal that totally delivers on all fronts, on our table, using their lovely 25% low-fat cream. I could easily make this dish eggless as the cream adds just the right amount of moisture and smoothness to the recipe. It’s not too rich and tastes wonderfully flavourful, like a gooey pudding. A refined sugar-free pudding with the goodness of oats, full of strawberries and a sprinkling of chocolate chips ( completely optional) for breakfast? Yes siree!
Its been such a hit at home that the fam even likes it for dessert. Warm baked oatmeal served with a dollop of very lightly sweetened whipped cream makes us all so happy! Even though Motherdairy’s cream is low-fat, it rose into soft peaks beautifully. No artificial canned stuff for us!
This a very simple one –bowl recipe requiring very few, staple pantry ingredients. It’s a great kitchen project with the kids. Let them measure out everything and mix in a bowl. While its baking, set out some fruits and nuts, some cream for serving if you like and you got yourself a posh breakfast or brunch in no time!
It’s a rather versatile recipe. You can use any fruits you like, add any combination of seeds and nuts to the mixture. You can even prepare the mixture the night before, keep it refrigerated, stir in the fruits in the morning and bake it off, all in good time for school and office. Who says you can’t eat a hearty breakfast on a week morning?
Do tune in for my two #InstaCookingClasses with Mother Dairy on Instagram . This Strawberry ‘n Cream Baked Oatmeal is the second recipe in the series. You can see the video for this HERE. Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do ! A big thank you to the absolutely gracious and wonderful team at MOTHERDAIRY for this tremendous opportunity.
- I’ve used locally produced Date Syrup here ( easily available in all health food stores and online) and kept the sweetness at bare minimum. You can use honey, maple syrup, brown sugar or even jaggery if you wish. Kindly adjust the level of sweetness according to your preference.
- I used a 6″ cast iron skillet. If you don’t have that, you can use a cake pan instead.
- I baked this with coconut oil as I really like the flavor. You can easily sub it for any vegetable oil.
- Please don’t overbake the oatmeal or else you’ll get a dryish texture. We are gunning for moist and fudgy!
- You can easily make this recipe completely VEGAN. Simply substitute with coconut cream and any plant milk of your choice.
- To make it GLUTENFREE, please use gluten-free oats.
I’d love to hear about how these turned out for you. Do leave a comment below and share a picture on INSTAGRAM using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods !