I’ve been on a jamun trip lately. They make a short but really delicious appearance during the months of summer. They are a bit tart in the beginning of the season and have an astringent after taste. But as the monsoon approaches, they get sweeter and this is the time when I start buying hordes of them. Or get my domestic help to steal some from the neighbourhood parks!!
Can you believe, this whole season I’ve not made single ice cream or popsicle!! So shameful!!! Had to rectify that pronto last week, when the heat and humidity became just unbearable. One hot morning, got my son in the kitchen, got him chopping the jamuns, while I whizzed up the other ingredients. 5 minutes later these Jamun Yogurt Popsicles were packed up in the freezer to be enjoyed later in the afternoon.
Yes, that easy! 3 ingredients, no fuss, healthy, great kitchen project with kids...and the taste? Creamy, sweet-tart, and refreshing and so darned pretty to look at. As fabulous as these popsicles are for snacking and for dessert, we loved them for our breakfast too. Yes that same “not a Jamun fan” family, slurped them up in no time! And that’s a BIG SCORE!!
Jamun Yogurt Popsicles
- 400 gms Greek yogurt or hung yogurt
- 1 cup Jamun ( Java Plums) pitted and chopped
- 4-5 tbsp Honey
- Blend the yogurt and honey together in a blender. Taste and adjust for sweetness.
- Divide the mixture into two halves. Pour one half into the popsicle moulds, filling them halfway.
- Blend the 2nd half of the yogurt mixture with the chopped jamuns until smooth. Taste and adjust for sweetness.
- Pour the jamun mixture over the plain yogurt mixture in the popsicle moulds. Gently mix the two, using a wooden skewer to form a swirl pattern.
- Freeze overnight. Enjoy!