Now that the children are back to school, there is some semblance of routine in the house. I can actually get some work done, even make a couple of phone calls without getting riled up with the two forever at each other’s throats! The day flies by, they are back in the afternoon…with their nonstop chatter and the big burning question “What did you make today?” And often the answer is COOKIES!! These Glutenfree Chocolate Chip Cookies w/ Roasted Almonds are one of my favorite post-school snacks to make.
Having a jar full of homemade cookies is, in a way, very reassuring to me. Baked treats with good, wholesome ingredients is what we’ve all grown to enjoy. Really there is nothing quite like a batch of homemade, oven-fresh cookies to spread instant cheer while making your house smell warm and comforting. And when it’s a chocolate chip cookie, boy, you’ve got yourself a whole bunch of happy!!
These classic cookies got a little makeover today…I tossed in chopped toasted almonds, cocoa nibs for extra crunch in every bite to complement those gooey melting chocolate puddles in the chewy cookie. And yes, I did make them gluten-free using buckwheat and ragi ( finger millet) flours. They add such a great nutty and earthy flavor. So while these babies will not win any beauty contest anytime soon, they are definitely topping the most delectable list!
This is a very easy, straightforward, one-bowl recipe. Because you are using melted butter, there isn’t any need to take out your mixer or even electric beater. I got my cocoa nibs from Earthloaf. If you can’t find them easily, just add some extra almonds. Do use the best dark chocolate you can get your hands on, it makes all the difference. I used Callebaut 55% here, but I have made these with Cadbury’s Silk as well and they came out just fine. We prefer dark chocolate. Always.
I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes! Do subscribe to Tasha’s Artisan Foods so you’ll never miss a recipe!
Chocolate Chip Cookies w/ Roasted Almonds, Glutenfree
- 100 gms Butter melted
- 50 gms Sugar
- 70 gms Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 80 gms Buckwheat Flour
- 70 gms Ragi/ Fingermillet Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 20 gms Cocoa Nibs optional
- 50 gms Chopped Toasted Almonds
- 100 gms Dark Chocolate Chips
- Pre heat oven to 180C. Line a baking sheet or tray with silpat or baking paper.
- Combine buckwheat and ragi flours, baking powder and baking soda in a small bowl.
- To melt the butter, I used a stainless steel mixing bowl and put that directly on my stovetop over low heat. You could melt the butter in the microwave too. Cool the butter a bit. Mix butter, both sugars, vanilla extract and egg in the same bowl really well.
- Add the flour mixture and combine with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Stir in the cocoa nibs, chopped almonds, chocolate chips.
- Drop by rounded tablespoon on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 – 17 minutes or until the cookie is lightly browned and just firm to touch. They do firm up further as they cool, so take care not to over bake them.
- Let the cookies sit on the tray for a minute then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.